Ages: Elementary (Grades 4-5), and Middle (Grades 6-8)
Number of participants: 6-10
Duration: 2-3 hour sessions
What’s included: Instruction, snacks, fun ride
Cost: $40 per rider
Goals of this program:
- Have fun!
- Build on basic skills for riding on trails.
- Revisit bike care and maintenance.
- Become more aware of how to share your experience and support others.
- Develop more conditioning and trail awareness.
Overview of skills (Always subject to adapt to students and weather):
- Review of basic skills like form, speed control, bike fit, turning, and trail obstacles.
- Fundamentals like shifting.
- Specific skills for climbing and safely descending.
- Conditioning to greater distances (more than 5 miles).
Necessary Equipment: A mountain bike with handle bar brakes, shifting, and some suspension. Helmet and water bottle or hydration backpack are also required.